Friday, May 6, 2011

For Mother's Day

A post by my dear friend Danielle.

Not dear because I've known her for years (though I guess it has been a few now) or because I see or talk to her often, but dear because despite all that, I feel like I've known her forever and wish I could talk to her daily. We are in very similar situations in life, with girls one day apart in age and baby boys only a few months further.

She often says things on her blog so honestly and beautifully that capture exactly how I'm feeling in that moment. And she's also one of the very best mothers I know. And by "best," I mean that she has an amazing ability to peel away the many layers that obscure the heart of this mothering business and get to the essence of things.

It's a good post to read to steel yourself for the upcoming praises that are often sung to "perfect" mothers on Mother's Day. Does anyone else end up feeling both loved and quite guilty on this holiday? Well, Danielle will remedy that by explaining the true miracle of motherhood.

2 comments:

Susie said...

An excellent post by both of you describing some of the complexities of mother's day and motherhood. One thing I've learned is that we are here on earth to mess up-and to learn from mess ups. It is extremely unfortunate that it most often is with the ones we love the most, our children. The idea that "God magnifies our strengths and compensates for our weaknesses" helps me a lot.

Susie said...

I mentioned the mixed feelings mothers have as expressed in yours and Danielle's posts in my talk yesterday.