Thursday, February 17, 2011

Free e-book

This came up in Josh's Google alerts tonight. Do you have a Google alert set up for your name? If your name is on the internet as much as Josh's, you do.

Yes, it's my thesis and yes, I got sucked into reading part of the intro.

Even though I haven't had any formal education past my MA, the five (five!) years between then and now have made me see a few things about my thesis more clearly:

Theoretical immaturity? Check!
Lots of unfounded assumptions? Check!
Typos? Check!

It's funny what time can do. I don't necessarily feel bad about these realizations, but I also don't want this to be my last "published" (free or not) work. We'll see what the next five years bring . . .

2 comments:

Susie said...

Yes, education continues, in school or out.

Rachael said...

Mine popped up in a similar way (via Google) awhile back, and I had the same feelings. Maybe because I've spent the intervening years teaching writing, but the formatting was what drove me nuts (captions? what captions?).

On the other hand, I did still think it was pretty good on a re-read. I certainly haven't produced anything as sophisticated since, even though I can see its flaws. I've just spent the last 5 years grading lousy student papers...